Friday 19 April 2013

What's wrong with being different?

It was a left sharp pain that made me step into the dead-end room this afternoon. I'd not been in an examination room for as long as I could remember and having had a professional health nurse as a mother, hospitals and clinic-related facilities seemed like the death sentence.
I laid in the blue coloured room, earnestly waiting to be attended to. The room was so cozy, anyone could doze off but I was pondering on what was about to befall me. I was so quiet, the nurses thought I had passed out. One was checking my pulse, the other was lifting my eye lids.
"Are you alright?"
I heard the voice of a mid-age woman from a distance. I motioned, "Yes" in reply, but looking in the direction of the big looking instruments hovering my head and large round lights directed towards my navel area, I thought differently.
One of the nurses, an intern I suppose, squeezed my hand and asked gently, "Do you mind an internal examination?" I looked around not knowing what to say but choose to reply with a question.
Any harm?"
"Of course not! Just an examination," she responded swiftly. I looked in the direction of the voice and could see the light-tanned face assuring me about their procedures.
No harm! raising my eyebrow, then nodded yes in return.
She pointed an instrument in my direction and added, "We just need to evaluate your lower abdomen".  I observed the instrument. It was an irritating long one. "Where could that  possibly be entering?" I thought.
They raised my two legs, one on either side and hanging them in the air.
I screamed, "OMG!"
In a few seconds, their hands were all over me, running through my abdomen on every edge like something is being sought.  I laid quietly on my back with thoughts pouring into my head like a stream. What could possibly warrant these examinations? I thought.
And then the lights moved from my navel area down to my lower abdomen. For another few minutes, they continued the search.
I thought, now what?  I could hear them whispering. They sounded confused. One of them said that can't be. The older woman said, I think it is. What could turn professionals into confused bagheads? I thought to myself for the umpteenth time.
What's the matter? I asked.
What's your age? She asked in return.
I replied, "Twenty-seven".
You can't possibly be a "V" at 27. "Are you?" She asked with a wicked looking grin. I was loosing brains for words at this point. Is there a problem? Is that a problem? Is that?
Confusingly lost in words.
She swayed left to right, dropping her instrument on one end and swinging her apron on the other. She seemed speechless and also thrown in  shock.
"I am sorry", she said. The other added, "We are sorry, this just seem different." I stood up, shocked and thrown aside by the dramatic event that just unfolded in these few minutes and stepping out of the examination room, with the word "different" got me to think.
 
What's wrong with being different?
 
This blog is not about "virginity". It implies everything that threatens you from being who God intended you to be, every tag that makes you sound different, but seemly weird from the average. They said, females are supposed to be sonorously pitched. You were told that you were too tall, too dark for a girl, or too light for an athlete. I am here to reaffirm that this is the sole reason why you are unique. Irrespective of your choices, values, colour, size, shape, age, you are uniquely designed and you can choose to be different.
Often, we want to belong to a class of people, friends, club or association. We want to be popular, be celebrated and gain some sense of freedom, we think others are enjoying. There is nothing wrong with craving to be all the best we can be but the question here is to become what? To belong to some mundane, vain, high and closed minded group where innovation is less celebrated, where your unique abilities are packed, neatly folded, stacked, packed up into a OK, average, common brainbox or where you are assumed to be everybody and tagged with another personality with the world's definition of normalcy?
Be you. Strive to be better everyday. You might not fit in and you most probably will not, if you are truly different. You might not be accepted or be told you are special but if you strive perfectly to be the best you, you will be.
The question you however need to ask yourself. Who am I? A soul-searching question you can only find in God. Why am I here? Where am I? Where am I going? What works for you and does not? Why do you want to belong to the popular code?
Be you. If there is ever anything wrong with being different, then, it is about the world, where you are forced to be just like every other. Don't forget: the very moment you start swimming with the stream is the moment you get lost in the crowd.

Oluwamitomisin
http://theladyteediary.blogspot.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment

We love to hear from our readers. We appreciate you for visiting. Please, share with your loved ones and friends